Friday, January 18, 2019

Always a lady

I was thinking about ladies in the entertainment field who've in my opinion have stood out by displaying first-class elegance.
Shirley Jones was initially on my list, but after I read she's written a book telling about her sex life shedding light she's nothing at all the characters she's portrayed on television shows or movies.
In my humble opinion, an elegant lady knows certain things need to be kept private. I took her name off my list.

The women on my list have not only portrayed elegant wholesome characters in their professional careers, but they've also presented themselves as ladies of grace and their off-screen life as well.

Ladies-
-dress appropriately for the occasion
-are mannerly, calm, cool and collected 
-are charming and respectful
-express themselves without being rude, loud or vulgar

I like this definition/description of a 'Lady' on Urban Dictionary-
 "Lady" is a Title that defines an Elegant Gracious Loving Woman who uses Etiquette and Diplomacy in both Public and Private Matters". Her Beauty comes from within. She has a firm bridle on her emotions and conducts herself with wisdom.


The following ladies receive my honorable mentioning-
Katherine Hepburn, born in 1907;
Greta Garbo, born in 1905,
Ava Gardener, born in 1922,
Lucille Ball, born in 1911,
Ginger Rogers, born in 1911,
Ella Fitzgerald, born 1917,
Della Reese, born 1931, and
Doris Day, born in 1922.

I'm sure I can come up with more names if I worked longer on this,
but actually I'm wondering whether I exhibit lady-like qualities?
The names on my list are entertainers, but I'm not insinuating only entertainers 
can act or be ladies of class and elegance.

(Images below were uploaded from google images)

June Lockhart- born in 1925



Shirley Temple Black- (1928-2014) was just 5' 2" tall. She actually knew Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart. Her accomplishments were astonishing from an early age when she brought smiles and laughter to millions during the 1930 Depression years. She later served as a diplomat to the United Nations and as an U.S. ambassador to two countries.


Shirley Temple Black-was a child actress, singer, dancer



       Cicely Tyson- (1924-2022



        Dawn Wells- (1938- 2020)



Florence Henderson- (1934-2016)



Mary Tyler Moore- (1936-2017)

 

Donna Reed(her professional name)- (1921-1986)



  Donna Douglas- (1933-2015)

















     Carroll Brunette (1933-                               


    Grace Kelly- (1929-1982)


       Loretta Lynn (1932-2022



The women I mention here are/were women who present/presented themselves as dignified and classy at all times.

Any woman, of any economic class; race; nationality; age, or profession, can make herself attractive, classy and elegant. A lady is a women with refined charm, maturity and respect toward herself and others.
A lady makes the entire experience of interacting with her a very pleasant one. And, if you've not met her, you desire to make her acquaintance knowing it would be a very pleasurable one.

I've noticed the women on my list were born in the first half of the 1900's, with most being born in the 1930's. Many of these ladies were performing and were viewed on television and movie screens mainly during the 1940's through the 1970's.Thank goodness the work of these ladies was preserved on formats for later viewing again for old time sake and for younger generations to view lady-like etiquette.

Interestingly, I've noticed the younger generation of women don't appear to place much importance on being a lady. They can take lessons from any of the ladies on my list to observe how a lady speaks, dresses and presents herself. A lady doesn't clutter her speech with vulgarity, nor does she need to display an excessive amount of skin to be attractive. A lady is polite, respectful and tactful at all times, nor does she partake in gossiping or talking negatively of anyone. A lady is classy and elegant without being snobbish. A lady is determined by the way she conducts and presents herself. Ethnicity and social class aren't factors.

I'm aware times have changed, but many of the most popular roles women and young girls portrayed today on television shows and movies are so harsh; the lyrics are harsh to the songs they sing; their choose to dress is scantily; and their word choices are very unflattering.

I'm aware what's socially accepted has gone through changes over the years, but any woman or girl can choose to conduct herself in a lady-like manner, makes herself very fashionable, timeless and classy.

I think 'old school' is cool and shouldn't fade away or be forgotten.


Women's fashion has gone through change over the years.



On a personal note, I prefer natural-colored hair.
But should there be a desire for drastic color change to say, green,
blue, orange or purple hair, there are consequences.
Hair dyed an unusual color reminds me of a clown.


Being yourself is good enough. 




The tips in this video will help present yourself more lady-like 
and classy. They're actually very good tips!




The content in this video is on target.

No comments:

Post a Comment