Thursday, January 9, 2020

Fabulous Saturday mornings, cartoons and cereal!

I'm blessed to have delightful childhood memories.
At the top of my list of favorites was Saturday mornings. 
Saturday mornings meant cartoon time all morning!
For a kid, Saturday morning cartoons were the bomb!

Cartoons in the 60's and 70's covered the gamut of a kid's imagination.
There were prehistoric to futuristic cartoons; cartoons with animal heroes and snickering villains. To the amazement of young eyes, viewing cartoons was colorful and exciting while mesmerized of characters, no matter they be animated, puppets, marionette characters or life-sized.
Saturday morning cartoons was a weekly looking-forward to, anticipated happy time which never disappointed.

There have been many cartoons of animated animals, fish and people.
Here's a listing of the top 50 cartoon characters.

Monday through Friday mornings I walked to school. But the deal on Saturdays was to hurry and get household chores done so I could sit and watch cartoons while I consumed a big bowl of my favorite cereal with milk. Saturday mornings were the bomb!

Here's a line up of cartoons shown on television back in the 60's
and the 1970's.

Here's another listing of cartoons and shows.

There have been some well-known cartoons and characters, but there was one Saturday morning program in particular I've longed to view again.

What I could remember about this cartoon was it was about an undersea world of talking fish.
The fish were marionettes. Some of the fish were 'bad' fish. I remember the 'bad fish' having a long nose, possibly a long nosed saw shark. but I can't remember for sure because the last time I saw it was decades ago.

I searched 60's and 70's cartoons with marionettes, fish, sharks, but no luck coming across the cartoon. The more I searched the stronger felt the urge to see it one more time for old time sake. I just needed to search using the correct search keywords-I knew I was going to find it sooner or later, so I wasn't thinking of giving up my search.

There were other shows on Saturday watch list, such as, The Monkees. and  H.R. Pufnstuf.

As I mentioned earlier, watching kid shows on Saturday mornings wasn't complete without a bowl or two of crunchy cereal mingled with some cold milk, and 
that wasn't complete without reading the back of the cereal box during the commercials. Like I said, Saturday mornings were delightful to the eyes, ears, and taste buds, and tummy!

Image Source: Google Images


Here's a visual of 1960's breakfast cereal.

Some 1970's breakfast cereal.







Finally I hit upon the correct sequential keywords because up popped an image 
I hadn't seen in a long time of a long-nosed fish. It was Baron Barracuda and beside him was his associate in crime, Trigger. I found it! My search was over!

'Diver Dan' was the name of the program..

So, after about 55 years I relived being a kid again on a Saturday morning. I made myself a big bowl of not too sugary cereal, poured on some almond milk, got a spoon and enjoyed watching and laughing at one of my old-time favorite shows.
Life is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment